This isn't intented as a
definitive list - think of it more as a memory jogger.
Many of the items will depend
on your own personal circumstances, the time of year and your destination within Spain.
- Things to arrange while planning your trip
- passport - is it still valid ?
- visa (if required - see
Passport Info for Spain
- credit cards (copy all information and leave with friends or family, together with bank
telephone numbers to report lost or missing cards)
- arrange a savings account and order debit cards to be able to use
- book all hotels,
car rental, travel tickets - store all tickets/vouchers in safe place
- research suitable itineraries, sights, hotels, restaurants, etc.
- subscribe to the TravelSpain mailing list at
to get all the best information to plan your trip.
- buy maps, travel guides, Spanish phrase book and/or dictionary.
- Clothing (note: depends
on time of year)
- (see further information at
Spain Clothes & Customs
- comfortable, light cottons. Light rather than dark colours
- bathing costume / shorts (may depend on destination)
- cap or hat for protection against the sun
- sun glasses
- some sort of waist bag or other secure money bag
- Personal items
- toothbrush and toothpaste
- wash-bag (shampoo, perfume/cologne, razor & shaving accessories, make-up, hair
- nail file and/or clipper
- tampons, slips, etc.
- paper tissues
- Health items
- insect repellent and/or soothing lotion for insect bites
- sunsceen and after-sun creams
- small first-aid kit, aspirins, etc.
- travel sickness pills or medicine
- other medicines / prescriptions
- health insurance certificates
- reading glasses and spare pair (if used)
- Electrical and other
- still photo camera, spare film and batteries
- video camera, spare tapes and batteries
- electrical adaptor (if necessary)
- travel alarm clock
- currency converter
- hair dryer
- address book and business cards
- books to read
- bags for used clothing
- travel sewing kit
- head rests, ear-plugs, eye-wraps, etc. - to sleep on the plane
- small bottle for water
- bottle opener and/or corkscrew
- plastic bags with zip for documents, papers, etc.
- Things to do before
- turn off water
- empty and de-frost fridge
- contact somebody to water plants and collect your post
- arrange to have pets looked after
- empty all waste-baskets, garbage, etc.