Madrid enjoys one of the most extensive areas of
parks, gardens and "green zones" of all European cities. It possesses a total of
33 million square metres of parkland, distributed throughout more than 40 parks within the
urban limits, the most important of which are mentioned below.
Please click on any
thumbnail photo for a larger view.
The Retiro Park
The Crystal Palace (Palacio de Cristal)
The boating lake
The Retiro is perhaps Madrid's best known park. It
occupies 120 hectares of land in the very centre of Madrid. It originated as the gardens
of the Palace of the Buen Retiro and was opened to the public by decree of the First
Spanish Republic in 1868. The Retiro includes the Rosaleda (a rose garden), the Palacio de Cristal, the Palacio de Velazquez and a boating
lake, around which there is always a large variety of shows and street theatre during the
weekends. Click here for more information
Tourist Accommodation Near the Retiro Park
Casa de Campo
Batán, or take the Teleférico from Pintor Rosales.
called the "Country House", the Casa de Campo consists of 1722 hectares and is
therefore one of Europe's largest public parks. In the 16th century, Felipe II ordered the
purchase of the Vargas' country house, around which further grounds and estates were
added. The park was declared the "Royal Forrest" under the reign of Fernando VI.
It suffered enormous damage during the Civil War and was finally handed over to the City
Authorities in 1963. Its flora is represented mainly by Mediterranean oaks, ash groves,
copses and reafforrestation areas; the fauna by a variety of birds and small mammals,
rodents, and insects.
the Casa de Campo limits, we can find a trade fair area, an
amusement park, Madrid's Zoo
and the Teleférico (cable car).
del Moro & the Sabatini Gardens
gardens belong to the Royal Palace and were opened to the public in 1978 by order of King Juan Carlos I.
& Parque de la Fuente de Berro (Fuente de Berro Park)
park occupies 7.4 hectares, 1200 square metres of which have been used to plant certain
species of plants that are easily recognised by blind people due to their touch and smell.
Botanical Gardens (Jardín Botánico)
gardens, situated next to the
Prado Museum, were inaugurated by Carlos III in 1781 after
sending out scientific expeditions all over the world to help build up the collection of
more than 30,000 species of plants, including sveral varieties of tropical plants housed
in the hothouse.
is Madrid's best landscaped park, structured according to the style of British or
naturalistic parks with great open grass spaces and copses. In the bottom half of the park
we can find the Rosaleda, the rose garden. Nearby, it is possible to take the cable car or
Teleférico to the Casa de Campo - a marvellous opportunity to enjoy spectacular views of
de la Dehesa de la Villa
1970, it was decided to develop this area of pastureland and it now functions as a public
Enrique Tierno Galván
park covers an area of 54 hectares and includes in its grounds the Planetarium, an
Auditorium, a monument to Enrique Tierno Galván (well known Mayor of Madrid in the 80's)
and the Imax 3-D cinema.
de El Pardo
to El Pardo highway
natural park, situated just outside Madrid, is home to many indigenous animal species and
was used from the Middle Ages as a royal poaching ground due to the high density of woods
and the abundance of wild animals.